Chapter 7. Igneous Rocks
Adapted by Karla Panchuk from Physical Geology by Steven Earle
After reading this chapter and answering the review questions at the end, you should be able to:
- Explain partial melting and the geological processes that lead to melting.
- Describe the range of chemical compositions of magmas.
- Discuss the processes that take place during magma cooling, and the order of crystallization in Bowen’s reaction series.
- Explain how fractional crystallization and partial melting alter magma composition.
- Classify igneous rocks according to the proportions of minerals within them.
- Describe the origins of aphanitic, phaneritic, and porphyritic textures
- Classify plutons according to their shapes and relationships to surrounding rocks.
- Explain how chilled margins form.