Chapter 1. Introduction to Geology
Adapted by Karla Panchuk from Physical Geology by Steven Earle
After reading this chapter and answering the review questions at the end, you should be able to:
- Explain what geology is, and why we study Earth.
- Describe the kinds of work that geologists do.
- Explain what is meant by geological time.
- Explain how the principle of uniformitarianism allows us to translate observations about Earth today into knowledge about how Earth worked in the past.
- Summarize the main idea behind the theory plate tectonics.