Adapted by Karla Panchuk from Physical Geology by Steven Earle
After reading this chapter and answering the review questions at the end, you should be able to:
- Explain what geology is, and why we study Earth.
- Describe the kinds of work that geologists do.
- Explain what is meant by geological time.
- Explain how the principle of uniformitarianism allows us to translate observations about Earth today into knowledge about how Earth worked in the past.
- Summarize the main idea behind the theory plate tectonics.