After reading this chapter of the textbook, learning the vocabulary, and working through the review questions, students should be able to:
- Define the term mineral and provide examples of several common minerals.
- Name the parts of the atom, draw a diagram of an atom, and label the charges of the particles that make up the atom.
- Name the types of chemical bonds, and give examples of molecules and minerals where they occur.
- Describe several common mineral crystal habits.
- Name the groups/classes of rock forming minerals, give an example of each of them, and an environment where each class of mineral forms.
- Name and sketch the different types of silicate structures and give examples of each.
- Describe the properties we can use to help identify minerals, and give a range of examples of each property.
- Define the term rock.