After reading this chapter of the textbook, learning the vocabulary, and working through the review questions, students should be able to:
- Describe the difference between the theory of plate tectonics and the continental drift hypothesis, and list scientific evidence supporting each of them.
- Name some of the major tectonic plates and identify their boundaries on a topographic map of the Earth.
- Name the three types of plate boundaries and their characteristics.
- Identify points on a topographic map of the Earth where each type of plate boundary exists.
- Describe one or more of the scientific theories about how plate tectonics works.