After reading this chapter of the textbook, learning the vocabulary, and working through the review questions, students should be able to:
- Define the term glacier and describe where glaciers are found on Earth.
- Describe the features of glaciers and how they grow, shrink, and move.
- Describe the different kinds of glaciers, and the erosional features they leave on the Earth’s surface.
- Describe how changes to thermohaline circulation could change temperatures around the world.
- Describe how Milankovich cycles influence climate.
Learning outcomes not covered in the textbook chapter in detail, but we may discuss them in class (depending on your professor):
- Describe how geologists use oxygen isotopes in ice to determine paleotemperatures on Earth.