Chapter 1 – Introduction
The 2012 CAR Diagnostic Imaging Referral Guidelines were introduced with the aim of assisting referring healthcare workers in making decisions pertaining to more appropriate imaging studies for specific cases.
- These Referral Guidelines were not intended to restrict the clinical decision making process.
- The Referral Guidelines are evidence-informed and are based on expert opinion or case studies.
- The guidelines are not meant to prevent the ordering of imaging examinations as the referring healthcare provider has the ultimate responsibility for what they feel is in the patient’s best interest.
- Discussion between the radiologist and the healthcare team, particularly during multidisciplinary team meetings, must always take precedence over guidelines.
- The guidelines were last revised in 2012.
For More Information:
CAR Imaging Referral Guidelines Website – http://www.car.ca/en/standards-guidelines/guidelines.aspx